December 21, 2014

5 Top Church Website Companies

Every church needs a website. This is just a fact of today’s society–the sooner you face that fact, the better. Many people visit a church’s website before they ever even step foot in the door. That’s why having a simple yet functional church website is necessary. Below is a round up of some of the top church website companies out there who serve the faith-based market (not in any specific order):

Elexio Amp Vibe Website

1-Elexio Amp Vibe – The ONLY church website CMS that fully integrates with a church management solution (Elexio Amp Fusion)  – plus integration with the rest of the suite. Many site designs plus unlimited storage and hosting. [Full disclosure: Elexio is a CTT site sponsor]
2-Our Church – Our Church combines a great website suite, hosting, and data storage together with search engine optimization services and customer support. Affordable solutions for church both with and without ads from their ad network.

Clover Website

3- Clover Sites – Simple, clean, streamlined and professional websites for churches. Clover has created their own custom church management system (CMS) that is simple for churches to build and design their own sites with ease. [Full disclosure: Clover is a CTT site sponsor]

4-Bridge Element – Awesome websites for growing churches and ministries. Bridge Element has their own custom CMS as well that enables churches to edit, update, change, and control their sites from the backend. Many features for churches of every size – all for $500 setup and $20 per month.

5-Faith Network – Faith Network offers a comprehensive CMS system that includes the management of podcasts, custom designs, social media, blogs, email, calendaring, mobile sites, online donations and newsletters.

There are many other church website companies out there – these are just a few of the most visible church website companies on Google. If you’d like to add a church website company to the list, please leave a comment below and tell us why they’re a great company to work with and what you love about their CMS. Thanks!

About the author  ⁄ Lauren Hunter

Lauren Hunter is a freelance writer, consultant and blogger who loves the Lord and desires to encourage churches to better use technology to improve every aspect of ministry. Her blog, ChurchTechToday, was born out of a need to find a place to discuss how technology can impact the Church in positive ways.

40 Comments

March 28, 2012

Thanks for starting this list, there are so many companies out there that provide church websites now, I’d mention 3 more that are also very visible, like http://www.ekklesia360.com/ , http://www.churchcommunitybuilder.com/ and http://www.faithhighway.com/ . For a more comprehensive listing, also see the search engine at greatchurchwebsites.org -> http://www.greatchurchwebsites.org/web_content_management_systems_vendor_directory.php

March 28, 2012

Thanks for your comment! Just to clarify, Church Community Builder is not church website software, but church management software (ChMS) – they sponsor this site. They do integrate their system nicely with some of the church website companies out there by providing a point of entry that is seamless with a church’s website.

Thanks for throwing in the others! Many blessings!
      Lauren

Cathy Baldwin
        April 11, 2012

I did much research also, and looked at 3 of the companies you listed. I chose FaithConnector (http://www.faithconnector.com) and have been extremely happy. Their pricing is affordable for a small church with a small budget, their customer service is outstanding, and their platform easy to learn and use. Highly recommended!

On the Street
          May 13, 2012

I agree with Cathy. You cannot do much of a search for church website builders and not feel compelled to evaluate the Faith Connector product. They seem have a very complete (not a partial) product.

October 10, 2013

We have also used http://www.faithconnector.com for several years now. I had my site built custom. They tied all the specialty items I had created back to their content management system. They were easy to work with and their customer service is excellent. Before I chose Faithconnector I researched all the church website creators and hosting companies before making my choice. No one can touch their pricing nor quality. They also update their content management system with the latest and greatest on a regular basis. I am surprised that Faithconnector did not make your list. I would put them at number one. They do have an area that collects all the member info, built in sign up, custom forms, online giving, integrated into the site like the company you have at your number one spot. I would re evaluate your list or at least keep it up to date with the latest technologies out there.

• Lauren Hunter Author
            October 10, 2013

Hi Dave, I appreciate your feedback and will check out Faith Connector. I’m always happy to hear about church website companies that serve the church well. I checked out your site both using Google Chrome and my Android phone. I love the layout and simplicity! Also, from my phone I can easily listen to your sermons right from the mobile site, which is a huge plus. What church management software does your church use? I see the place for church members to login. Just curious. Thanks for your input and your readership! Sincerely, Lauren

• October 11, 2013

Hi Lauren,
            Thanks for your complements on the site. We use what Faithconnector has provided so far but one of the admins at church has been experimenting with Elexio for the child check in at our church. What I have noticed is that where Elexios strengths are tying in the check in stations to their site but their shortfalls are that they have limited website designs and they are double the cost for hosting it vs Faithconnector. On the flipside Faithconnector doesn’t have the infrastructure to tie into a kiosk system but they have some of the most beautiful sites and have the ability to build a high end custom site like what we have. In a perfect world there would be a company that would have both. I have created a page that I put the Elexio API to use for things like one of the upcoming women’s events but I’m disappointed in the Elexio interface as the payment tab has the words “giving”. This would bring confusion to the user as it should be customizable to say what you need it to say like “event payment” or something like that. So it seems that every system has its limitation but I lean toward Faithconnector to handle most all since pretty much everything is customizable to fit the need.

• Lauren Hunter Author
            October 11, 2013

Hi Dave, Good discussion here. I know API integration can be a bit tricky. Have you had Elexio step in and try and get it set up to meet your needs better? They are one of our site sponsors, and great folks to work with. I’m wondering if you’re also using their Fusion database product and how that is working for you. If FaithConnector is working really well for your website, I would perhaps look at a check in solution that works better for you rather than shifting your church website (huge undertaking, I’m sure you know.) Would it help you if I wrote up a children’s check in software round up list with all the vendors available to churches? Sincerely, Lauren

Liz Carver
    March 28, 2012

As the Communication Manager of Web/Digital Media at Wheaton Bible Church in West Chicago, IL (www.wheatonbible.org & http://www.iglesiadelpueblo.net), I did SOOOOOOOO much research last year as to which church CMS was the best, and I looked at all the big ones, including all 3 you listed here, but the far and AWAY winner is iMinistries (www.iministries.org).

iMinistries has the MOST POWERFUL CMS I’ve seen from a christian organization (I believe it is comparable with WordPress & other large CMS platforms), and they’re a great organization to work with. They even have a Church Management System built in (ChMS – like “the city” from ekklesia 360). And they’ll give you CSS access (unheard of from every other church website that I researched). And my older-than-baby-boomer-generation boss, who has no knowledge of code can edit & update our site with ease!

As a church within a church (we have a smaller Hispanic congregation and a larger english-speaking congregation), I can say that they are affordable whether you’re talking a small budget for a small church with a small website (iglesiadelpueblo.net), or a mega church with a massive website who is still trying to be good stewards of our money.

I’m not trying to be negative about other companies, but I have tested, tried, conversed, poked & prodded through them all and literally nothing compares with the flexibility, beauty, and power of iMinistries!

Email me ANY questions you have, I have spreadsheets with ALL of these companies on them, their features, what they can/can’t do, etc.

Liz Carver
    lcarver@wheatonbible.org
    Wheaton Bible Church
    West Chicago, IL

March 29, 2012

Thanks so much for your detailed input, Liz! I hadn’t heard of iMinistries and it didn’t come up in Google – I will check them out. I appreciate the info for my readers! Blessings,
      Lauren

Sautinexus
    March 28, 2012

Very good ranking. I specifically like elexio website but their charges are beyond the budget of start up churches. Indeed all communities need websites to enhance social cohesion. See our website in Glasgow UK http://www.sauti-nexus-projects-and-training.co.uk/

March 29, 2012

From Twitter:
    AnwothWill Will Lee
    @ChurchTechToday You really should have @gutensite in your top five. Their designs, CMS, and support are second to none.
    Mar 28, 9:09 PM via Twitter for iPhone

May 3, 2012

At the creation of this article we had not yet released our service. On April 15, 2012 inPhocus Media (www.inphocusmedia.com) started the M28 initiative (www.m28initiative.com) which is a special website building service for churches.

May 3, 2012

Thanks for updating our readers and congrats on your new company launch! Please feel free to share a little more about your services – are you designs built on WordPress or a custom CMS? What is your pricing like? Do you offer bundled packages for churches looking for a website and an app?

Thanks!
      Lauren

May 5, 2012

The website designs are first created in HTML and HTML5 and then they are converted to WordPress. We have customized the wordpress backend to be a custom CMS which includes modules that are relevant to what churches need on their website.

Full features of what we have can be found here: http://m28initiative.com/pricing/

There are various bundles available and we are willing to create new custom bundles to fit ministries’ needs.

On the Street
    May 13, 2012

Elexio doesn’t have true integration with any church management product. It’s actually more along the lines of linking to a product. Also, Bridge, while cheap, has probably the fewest features of any services you’ll find in a Google search.

henry smith
    June 7, 2012

Custom CMS are often the best option as it smoothes the transformation of mundane website into customized website.

Weston Moreno
    January 16, 2013

I have heard good things about all 5 companies listed above. We use ACS Technologies, they are wonderful! Highly recommend them.

Visit MinistryMediaPR.weebly.com for Church Internet Marketing tips when it comes to your church website and social media platforms.

April 12, 2013

Gutensite, as Lauren/Will Lee mentioned earlier, is also powerful CMS for churches [Full disclosure: I’m a member of the Gutensite team]. They have packages to fit any budget, professional yet personal designs (they can do custom designs too) and scalability to grow with your church. Whether you want to podcast sermons, receive donations or even create a forum to foster community discussions, Gutensite’s functionality is robust and can take care of any church’s needs.

One especially helpful feature they offer is the ability to create member profiles. This way, members can have their own log in information and have access to specific content. Also, church admin can allow specific members the ability to add/edit content on the site independently and since the Gutensite CMS separates design from content, you don’t have to stress about how the site will look every time you update something, Gutensite keeps it looking good.

Gutensite is definitely a valuable CMS solution to consider.

They separate design from content (as a good CMS does) and allow you to focus on your

April 23, 2013

I am actually part of a family-owned Church Website Development company MinistryDesigns.org. We started this company because we realize the importance of a church having a visually pleasing website to reach the community with 70% of people looking at a church’s website before they even attend. It’s our Ministry to be able to help churches and that’s why we offer one of the most powerful and easy-to-use website builders in the industry at the lowest price you will find. We have over 28 years combined full-time christian service at your disposal and realize the importance of a great product at a great price that can fit into any budget. We would love the opportunity to help grow your church and ministry and to help spread the good word. It truly is a blessing every time we get to help a church with a new website.

May 9, 2013

Your list is a good one. Since we have recently started a church web design business ourselves, we have look a lot at other companies. The ones you have chosen do a great job. I think it is really important, being in this industry, to keep our prices affordable while still giving a quality product.

May 31, 2013

Thanks for providing a list. We also do church websites as well, but thanks for helping give churches a resource!

June 7, 2013

Let’s not forget about NetMinistry. We’ve been around for over 12 years and worked with over 7,000 organizations. The platform is a combination CMS, CRM, and e-commerce management system and the design services all completely custom. For the price, everyone else is only offering premade templates. Just a shout out, folks.

July 15, 2013

Lauren,

Thank you so much for the mention. We are in some great company with these other website providers. 2012 was an awesome year and 2013 is turning out even better.

I wanted to drop a note about a few new things that people may not be aware of.

1. All our websites are HTML5.

2. We have a completely upgraded CMS with tons of great features

3. We have Online Giving / Online Tithing. We have the lowest rates possible!

4. We will be coming out with Apps very shorty! I con’t get into to much detail but it is going to be awesome!

Again thank you so much for the mention.

God bless,

Lauren Hunter Author
      July 16, 2013

Thanks for posting a comment for more details on your website services! If you guys would be interested in sponsoring ChurchTechToday, please shoot me an email at lauren@churchtechtoday.com. Thanks!

shy
    July 26, 2013

With VideoStir you can add automatically add your own “floating clip” to your church website in less than 5 minutes (without green screen).
    It’s perfect for church website where you can deliver a clear message to the viewers with a sophisticated video clip.
    Have a look at http://videostir.com and try it.
    More and more church websites are beginning to use it as it is a DIY solution and it is easy to handle.

Good luck,
    Shy

Lauren Hunter Author
      July 27, 2013

I just checked out Videostir – WOW! This is really cool. I can see churches using this by having their pastor record a short video to welcome people to the church website and invite them to come on Sunday. Thanks for bringing your services to ChurchTechToday’s attention! – Lauren

shy
    August 22, 2013

Thanks Lauren,
    You can also take your website visitor to a video tour while the background keeps on changing from once webpage to another. It’s like giving an online video presentation while the slides (pages) appear behind you.
    Here is an example (watch it from your PC and wait a few seconds) : http://videostir.com/follow-me-demo.html

Drop us a line at http://videostir.com if you have any questions.
    Good luck
    Shy

October 27, 2013

We hope your experience on our website has been an inspiring experience. No matter what your reason is for contacting us, we welcome your comments and suggestions. It is a passion of ours to assist individuals, organizations and businesses in creating sacred spaces and places for your home and/or work environment – where your life, the life of your family and the life of your community unfolds. We look forward to hearing from you!

Peg
    December 21, 2013

I am disappointed to see Elexio on this list as they refuse to do business with any church not in 100% agreement with the National Association of Evangelicals’ ultra conservative statement of faith.

When our mainline Presbyterian (PC(USA)) church asked about their products, we were told by Elexio that they would not do business with us because of our open and affirming position regarding homosexuality. Elexio considers the loving commitment of same-gender Christians to be as evil as bestiality, witchcraft, and necrophilia.

I pray that Elexio’s narrow and judgmental beliefs, and the beliefs of other companies such as Church Community Builder, do not represent the attitude of ChurchTechToday. If they do, please let visitors to your site know, as many of us cannot, in Christian faith and good conscience, continue to frequent your site.

Sam
    April 7, 2014

Hi Lauren, I thought I should mention Ministry Designs as a contender for the top 5 church website companies. Compared to the others, Ministry is a very hands on company that will either let you build your church website on your own with their custom drag-and-drop website builder, or they can help design your own site from the ground up. The pricing is very fair and for what you get (an html5 dynamic website and cms) and the out-of-the-box templates are very high quality. http://www.ministrydesigns.org

Hope we can make the list next time!

Lauren Hunter Author
      April 8, 2014

Hi Sam, Thanks for reaching out! I wasn’t aware of Ministry Designs so thanks for leaving a comment! I’d love to connect with you guys. Sincerely, Lauren

Collin Harness
    May 21, 2014

Hi Lauren,

You have put together a great list. I also found a provide called http://www.mychurchwebsite.net that does some great work. They have a really easy CMS church system and are really affordable. It looks like they offer a lot of great templates to choose from as well.

Michael
    June 18, 2014

Hi Lauren,

Appreciate your list, but I’m a bit confused. Given Elexio is a CTT site sponser, I wondered how you compiled your list of “5 top church website companies.” I do applaud your disclosure.)

Is it based on the number of clients? Total annual revenues? Some type of satisfaction survey? A google search?

As a sometime journalist, when I see a listing, I want to know the criteria used to create it, especially when the list is “in no particiular order,” but a site sponsor is listed first.

Thanks, Michael

Lauren Hunter Author
      June 19, 2014

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comment. I stated in the article that these were some of the most highly ranked church website companies on my Google search. Yes, a few of them were also sponsors, like Elexio and Clover (at that time, not currently), however, they were and still are some of the best website providers to the church market. There are SO MANY church website companies out there – there’s no way I could include all of them. This article was merely intended to get the conversation going about church websites, not be a comprehensive “Top 20″ list. If we were to do an article like this, what in your opinion would be the best criteria? Most number of churches served? Customer satisfaction survey? I could do an informal poll among my readers to see what they feel are the best solutions out there. Thoughts?

Michael
    June 26, 2014

Hi Lauren,

Good reply. I understand the challenge. My guess is that just as many (or more) companies who provide website services to churches are drawn to your blog and listing of five website providers as are individuals in churches seeking a supplier.

Without doing some type of quantitative research (e-mailing and securing the participation of a large number of churches), you won’t be able to judge satisfaction or popularity because those related to companies serving the church market will respond at much higher rates than those churches being served. Again, my own perspective.

If you can get the number of churches served by a company, certainly that would be one good metric, but I don’t know if suppliers make that kind of information available.

The no cost solution is probably to do what you are doing … but make it very, very clear as to how you selected those companies you feature. And, because Google rankings change, I’d suggest you expand your list to perhaps ten companies, encourage feedback on those companies, and update your list monthly or quarterly … noting the date with each update.

Otherwise, I think your readers may see your posts / listing as little more than a promotional tool to hype a few firms that supply websites for churches … including those who are (or have been) sponsors of your site.

Hope that’s helpful.

Thanks, Michael

October 23, 2014

I’d like to add our service http://www.Churchdev.com to the list of church website developers. For $199 setup we do the complete design and turn over a fully completed website. Then you can manage it with the ease of drag and drop page builder and fill in the blank sermon, staff and event systems. You’ll not find a company that provides this level of customer service for the price.